It is always a good idea, in advance of signing a lease, to ask about the pet policy. Ask a lot of questions, such as...
- Will my landlord allow me to have a dog?
- Is there a weight limit?
- Is there a pet deposit or fee?
- Will your landlord allow more than one pet?
Assuming you get the OK from your landlord... now for the serious questions...
- What size and breed dog would be good for our family?
- If you have children.. do the children want a dog and will they take an active role in caring for a new family member?
- Is the yard fenced? If not who will walk a new dog 3 or 4 times a day?
It's important that the activity level and temperament of dog matches the home. So many dogs are surrendered to shelters because the family gets a cute little puppy but then the puppy grows up and the family is not prepared to put the time and effort that is required to train and care for a dog.
Adopting a pet is not an impulse decision... do your research and make sure you are ready for the commitment.